Thursday, May 23, 2013

Supernatural Affections

For a while now I've been asking myself a question. What is a blog without an ode to Supernatural? An oatmeal cookie, I say.
I've been going back and forth unsure whether I can give the Winchesters justice. I fear I'll belittle the grandeur of this show; that I might not be able to articulate my feelings. Words fail sometimes.
Nevertheless, I decided to try. There goes my tangled thoughts.

Those two boys carry the weight of the world on their shoulders. And who can resist a tortured soul?
They fought and still fight hell, purgatory, and even heaven. They hunt and carry on boldly, even after life stripped them of every bit of comfort. Some may say their lives are cursed. And although I ache whenever I look at Sam, all sickly and fragile, and when I see Dean denied of even a morsel of pie, which is the best metaphor, I realize one good thing. They are closer now than they would have ever been. Their bond might not make up for all the crazy they've seen and been through, but somehow it does.
I like that I can watch "Swan Song" over and over again and still weep. It perfectly pictures that unbreakable bond.

I like that when I talk about Bobby or John Winchester I feel a little sad.

I like that I know how to kill a ghost, hunt a striga, kill a leviathan, or gank a demon. Totally useful!

I like that I can use the word "gank".

I like Dean's ridiculousness which lightens up ur heart and Sam's will to do right despite fate's conspiracy againt him.

I like how this story evolves; how relationships evolve.

I like that It has also taught me alot about the delicate balance between free will and destiny; that delicate and terrible balance. It is their ultimate struggle.

Ah, I can still remember the first time I hit the play button! It was a fateful day. I was hooked. And when you get really attached to characters it is hard to remain realisitc about your expectations for them. When I say realistic I mean the logical outcome and ending of the show.

Let's all be honest here; they'll never really have the normal apple pie life. But for some reason, and for the first time ever in the history of series, it only feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment